Religious education and worldviews
In RE (Religion and Worldviews), we want our children to:
- become religiously literate and hold balanced and well-informed conversations about religion and worldviews
- know about and understand Christianity as a living faith that influences the lives of people worldwide and explore core beliefs
- know and understand about other major world religions and worldviews
- develop their spiritual and philosophical convictions, exploring and enriching their own beliefs and values
- engage with challenging questions of meaning and purpose raised by human existence and experience
Our Religion and Worldviews Curriculum
As a Voluntary Controlled School, we follow the ‘Hull and East Riding Agreed Syllabus for Religion and Worldviews 2022’. In addition, the children learn about the key Christian concepts of God, Creation, Incarnation, Salvation and Gospel using the ‘Understanding Christianity’ resource. Pupils are taught 60 minutes of Religion and Worldviews each week. Our children have the opportunity to study a broad and inclusive Religious Education. The main religion studied is Christianity and alongside Buddhism. In addition, the children explore Environmentalism, which is a non-religious worldview.
In Foundation Stage, the children learn about RE through circle-times, free play activities, visits to religious places and religious stories. The ‘Reverend Freddie Fisher and Puddles the cat’ help the children to learn about Christian celebrations.
In Year 1 and 2, the children are taught RE through the three lenses of theology, philosophy and social sciences. Through enquiry-based learning, pupils have the opportunity to explore, compare and contrast the beliefs and practises of different religions and worldviews. Children are provided with opportunities to explore the Christian faith and learn about aspects of other world religions and worldviews in a respectful manner.
Religion and Worldview Days/Weeks
Each term the whole school takes part in an enquiry based RE Day/Week overseen by the RE Leader. The themes of Harvest, Incarnation, Easter, Pentecost, Buddhist Meditation, Environmentalism Projects are explored. The children experience RE first hand and are given time to reflect on what they are learning. The Christian workshops take place in All Saints Church and the Y2 Buddhist Meditation workshop takes place at The Buddhist Centre.
Click on the link below to read our RE Policy: